Careers / Open position · Full-time
Junior Engineer (Ruby)
Join a team that values professional development, creative freedom, thoughtful code, and building software that makes an impact for merchants.
We build software that powers commerce for hundreds of merchants across the world, including some of the biggest brands on the Shopify platform.
Our company’s growing, and as we have more clients walking through the door, more products under way, and start taking on even more technically ambitious projects we need more hands on deck! We’re looking for up to three new Ruby engineers to join our team via our Junior Engineer Academy program.
As a junior role, we do not require any professional experience in the world of software development, although we do expect candidates to have familiarity with Ruby and to have written code they’re able to demonstrate during the interview process.
We have openings for both remote and local (Melbourne, Australia) candidates. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply - we believe strongly in diversity and in building an inclusive and supportive company.
You will be employed full-time within Australia, so you should have the right to work in the country. Sponsorship may be possible in certain circumstances.
We want to speak to people directly - no recruiters please!
What you’ll be doing
- Participating in our Junior Engineer Academy program;
- Working in small (3-4 person) teams to write and maintain Ruby on Rails Shopify applications that directly help merchants grow and run their businesses;
- Collaborating with other engineers at Disco to improve our internal frameworks and develop your own programming skills;
- Using interactions with customers to design and implement new features on Disco’s own publicly-available Shopify applications;
- Enhancing Disco’s reputation as a leading Shopify agency through community engagement, developing case studies, contributing to open source, and other activities.
Who you’ll be working with
- Our development team is led by our Technical Director David, a highly experienced Ruby engineer. His role is to support all of the engineers on our team to ensure we’re delivering quality code and levelling up our skills at the same time;
- The other members of the development team are Simon, Tom, Frank and Daniel - you will be leading, planning, pairing and coding with these fine people in our quest to build amazing software;
- Our production managers Kamila and Devin work closely with everyone on the development team to help set priorities and timelines.
Core skills required
- You’re a communicator, who recognises that developing great products requires teamwork and close collaboration, not just code;
- You have previously written some code that works using Ruby on Rails or a similar framework;
- You’re curious and like to dive deep into what you’re working on and learn new things.
Skills that are “nice to have”
- You have had some exposure to Shopify, either as a merchant or as a developer;
- You have front-end development skills, potentially having worked with things like React and Sass before;
- You have experience with other languages or web frameworks beyond Ruby on Rails (eg Node, Python, Django, Hanami).
Things we don’t need
- You don’t necessarily have a degree. You could be about to complete your studies or be completely self-taught - we’re more interested in the work you can and want to produce, not a piece of paper;
- You don’t need to be co-located in our office. We have openings for both remote and local candidates. If you are applying for a remote role, your normal working hours must overlap within 3 hours of AEST.
What we offer
- We want you to be comfortable, so we will offer you a competitive salary with leave and benefits. We anticipate making offers in the AUD$60,000 to AUD$80,000 plus super range for this role, depending on skills and experience;
- You will have a large degree of creative freedom in how you tackle design and development problems, but we’ll provide you with all the support you need to learn and grow your skills;
- We place an emphasis on personal development, with dedicated time scheduled by our production team for self-directed learning and exploration and a personal learning budget to invest in yourself;
- We have a flexible work policy that’s designed to help people fit work around life, not the other way around. We’re happy to accommodate early/late starts for school pickups, easing a commute, or other ongoing commitments. This extends to working from home and remote work;
- We have a company-wide day off every third Wednesday as an opportunity for a mid-week relax and recharge;
- Opportunities to work remotely anywhere in the world for extended periods of time;
- We offer a profit sharing scheme to all employees, as a way for everyone on the team to share our successes;
- Monthly wellbeing allowance you’re free to spend on new running shoes, yoga classes, mindfulness classes - whatever keeps you happy and healthy;
- We offer one annual day off per year for employees wanting to do charitable work;
- We match any annual charitable donations made by employees up to a limit of $250;
- A twice-yearly offsite retreat to take a step back, reflect and plan for the rest of the year.
We have four core values that guide our work.
- We are genuine - We don’t use empty words, or present a facade of what Disco is like as a company, either to team members or to clients. We pride ourselves on transparency. We are human, and recognise that everyone else is too.
- We are invested - We care about what we’re doing, and seek to only do work that has a genuine impact for our clients and customers. We care about each other, and want everyone to grow, learn and succeed in their role. We put the needs and wellbeing of people above deadlines, profit, or arbitrary company goals.
- We are experts - We pride ourselves on our deep technical knowledge. If it can be done on Shopify, we can do it. We openly teach what we know to our ecosystem through events, groups, products and open source. We know that there’s always more to learn. We set a high standard internally, and hold ourselves and each other to that standard.
- We deliver - We don’t make empty promises. If we say we’ll get something done, we’ll get it done — whether it’s a commitment to a client or a commitment to a teammate. We surprise and delight our clients by going the extra mile when we can.
Learn more and apply
We value transparency, so if you’re keen to get more insight into what it’s like working at Disco, our company handbook is public.
Details of the application process and instructions on how to kick off your application are available on our Junior Engineer Academy page.